Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Joy of Working in Retail - USB and Parallel Devices View next topic
View previous topic
Ki Mendrossen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I work in a Computer Store. Embarassed

We sell a device that allows a parallel IEEE 1284 printer to attach to a USB port. I have a not so nice customer come in who wants to hook his USB printer to the Parallel port. I tell him it can't be done. He then tells me, "Your full of s***t. If you can hook a parallel printer to USB you can go the other way around. I tell him that isn't possible. The device we sell provides backwards compatibility with legacy hardware. You are looking for something upwards compatible and for your USB printer the only thing that will work it a USB port. if you don't have anymore buy a hub or USB 2.0 card. I haven't seen a cable or device that will do what you want it to do. He then basically told me that I was an idiot and have no business working in a computer store. Rolling Eyes

I have never seen a device that allows USB devices to attach to the parallel port. I have done google searches to no avail. I have heard from one other person years back that such an animal does exist. But I haven't seen them and seeing is believeing for the skeptical mind that I am. Do you guys know where I can get such a device?
mf_2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have never seen one of those devices either. I know PS/2 to USB, Gameport to USB and parallel to USB, even serial to USB, but no USB to parallel.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's time to do a little research... I'd be willing to bet that USB can emulate the other signals, but the other signals cannot emulate USB.

In the computer world, if it can go one way that's no guarantee it can go the other. If you need USB support just spend the $20 on a USB PCI card. Unfortunately, manufacturers have been quick to abandon proven technologies to give you something "more advanced" (read: more expensive).

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sure it is very possible that a USB to parallel converter could exist, but i can almost promise it would be quite costly. Unless this person is using a machine with an outdated expansion bus, it would probably be a lot cheaper to just get the damn PCI card. It would work a lot faster anyway.
mf_2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
I am sure it is very possible that a USB to parallel converter could exist, but i can almost promise it would be quite costly.

Yeah and it's called a PC with a parallel printer, usb onboard, usb direct link, and a printer share Wink

No serieously: Get an expansion card. Just out of curiosity: are there any isa usb cards? I realize that it would be slow as heck, but sometimes it's most important that the usb device can be accessed, and not so much at what speed it can be accessed.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope. I already looked into this one. It seems USB is really PCI centric. I heard that USB controllers require a 32-bit expansion bus. I didn't really read much into it at this point.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I have a not so nice customer come in who wants to hook his USB printer to the Parallel port. I tell him it can't be done. He then tells me, "Your full of s***t.

At that point, he no longer becomes a customer. He becomes a jackass and not worthy of your time. I've had a few like that and I always just send them off on a wild-goose chase ("yeah, WallyWorld may have something like that--I'm sure if they don't they can find someone that has it ...")

My contribution to the "global expansion" of China...
wdegroot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

to avoid arguments, I would suggest that it is possible.
also: " i want the green cheese franchise for the moon"
but not available as yet,
tell him/her / them that You try to keep up with the latest
literature and reports and such a device, while not available thru your distribution channels, may well be abailable in " a year or so" ( note MAY)

if he has a magazine article or a web page with such a device , tell him your compamy will attempt to "special order it for him" as the customer is always right.
and ... please bend over right now! ( get a cash deposit)
T-R-A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
as the customer is always right

In most businesses I'd say that's true. In the computer business I'd say that it's more like "the customer is 95% of the time misinformed or uneducated".

Face it, a lot of people just don't need to be operating a computer before they learn some of the basics...
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Face it, a lot of people just don't need to be operating a computer before they learn some of the basics...

And just what basics are you refering to, T-R-A? Are you suggesting some kind of test or license to operate a computer?

The best thing to do is to write an unsupported book that is included with all new PC purchases detailing how to do many tasks on the computer and most of all how to keep the computer SAFE. Most people know better than to go outside in the middle of winter without a coat, right? It's just like running without a firewall.

There are still people out there that read the manual, so including a nice thick book won't bother them at all. (Charge them $20 more for including it in the box, if you must.) Don't put the manual on CD, as that means they still have to use the PC to get the manual.

>score
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
ryan no log

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes there are DEFINATELY ISA USB adapters, photos were posted at the old forum, but really who wants to spend $150 for a buffered ISA to USB card?

Also they would not be very slow, USB 1.0 normally only really talks to printers and other devices at a whopping 1-2mb/sec (if they are lucky) ISA can handle 8mb/sec depending on how it is setup.

Then there is the ISA -> SCSI -> USB converter on converter method
or the

http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/_SUPPORT/_LEGACY/_Peripherals/ISABUSADAPTER.html

ISA -> PCMCIA -> USB method

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB1161ISA/intro.html
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Are you suggesting some kind of test or license to operate a computer

No, but how many people do you know that have purchased a computer; don't know what they're going to use it for (besides getting on the internet/play a specific game); and when they actually need to do something (like burn a CD or write a resume) don't have the slightest clue about how to do it...

Half of my time used to be spent explaining "the basics" to people...
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Show me how to connect USB to SCSI. Very Happy
I'm a crazy SOB, so I'd do it regardless of the cost.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could just simply wait until the technology's obsolete and pick it up cheap---but don't wait too long otherwise it won't be available.

>score
 Jump to: