Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cathodecorner on slashdot! View next topic
View previous topic
harshbarj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://science.slashdot.org/science/05/12/15/019206.shtml?tid=126&tid=14

sadly most people don't have nice things to say. I know I'd buy one if the price was a bit more down to earth. ($400 for 2 tubes and a bit of plastic?)

I's say go for brushed metal. Give it a nice glass front and try to hide the guts and battery from view and you'd have a winner!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

my site has been getting a lot of hits as a result of this...there's a link to my nixie page on David's watch history page. He must be getting hit really hard.

I guess none of the naysayers have ever tried to design such a thing for limited production. It ain't easy! David spent a couple years getting the design to where it is, and he's a smart cookie. There are a lot of issues to deal with, the big round case with full glass front happens to be the only way he's found to get it into production.

The parts including case are somewhere around $100 per watch, and the software is open source, I'm sure you could copy the design and sell them for $200 if you wanted to not make any money at it. Have fun! David is not getting rich from this venture, he makes more money at his day job, by far.

(in case some of you don't know, my brother David is the guy who is cathode corner)

selectric.org
 Jump to: