Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a list anywhere of the software titles for Win 1.x? View next topic
View previous topic
ryan no log

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been wanting to "find" a program that ran under Windows 1.x or even 2.x for a while. So far the only program that sort of works is Word 1.0 for windows. I have still never found Works 1.x for windows (it does exist).

I am curious what titles were made for windows 1.? There had to be something released with it besides the integrated software, heck Even deskmate had a version of Lotus released for it.

Cheers
Ryan
creepingnet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

About 3 years ago, I had an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 that had a Fractal Trees program for Windows 2.0x, as well as some other IBM provided program that I can barely remember, I think it was an office suite of some sort. I really wish I knew where my backup of that was, since I backed up the whole hard disk and put it somewhere safe before erasing the whole thing and putting it together as an internet ready AT.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
jforb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

how about this completed ebay auction: 8729774440

excel for windows 2

selectric.org

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I understand very few programs were made for 1.x, it was a big flop.
bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have DeLuxPaint II from 1988 here if anyone is interested
ryan no log

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

From what I understand very few programs were made for 1.x, it was a big flop

Hence why someone should make a list of the titles that were released, it would be short but usefull.

Cheers
Ryan
ß

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You can look for advertisements in relevant magazines from 1985 onwards. I have an issue of Byte from 1987 and it has at least one ad for a Windows app, but by 1987 I think this app was for Windows v2.x.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=90
I think this game was originally written for Windows v1.x. The 1990 edition was written for Windows v2.x. The zip archive seems to be broken though. You can use pkzipfix though so that at least pkunzip will extract the files from the archive.
xtguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some years ago, I found on the 'net mention of at least one software package that runs under Win 1x, made by some company called Palantir. Here is the "blurb" about it, which I saved:

"Its called WinText by PALANTIR. I found it in a flea market once. It was designed for Windows 1, and will not run in anything other than Standard Mode. I have actually run this on Win 3.0 on an XT. But it will not run on anything with expanded memory or apparently more than 640k of memory. The program itself has features that appear a lot like what is seen later in Windows 3.0/3.1 -- overlapping windows, cut and paste between windows, etc. The company PALANTIR (according to the box) also made WinScan and WinGraph graphics programs for Windows 1."

He says it only runs under "standard" mode, he must have meant real mode, because as we all know, that's the only mode an XT will run in.

I don't have a copy of the software and have never seen it in action.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I heard there were over 100 programs made for the various versions of 1.x, many of which surrounded adobe fonts and printing. I have a magazine that mentions wingraph but for windows 2.x. Sadly pre1990 stuff is generally lost by now
 Jump to: