Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celeron/Sempron hotter running than Pentium/Athlon? View next topic
View previous topic
Ki Mendrossen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Customer walks into the computer store and says that their Celeron computer has fried. That they have owned several Celeron computers and it has always done the same thing but their Pentium 4 computers haven't ever fried. They say they keep their house at 78-80F (must wan't to save on their electric bill) and they complain the same thing about Semprons. They claim to use identical cooling solutions on their Celeron and Pentium systems.

I remember someone telling me several years ago that they would never buy a Celeron because it overheats. I have done Google searches and such and I can't seem to find evidence of this. Do you guys know if there is any truth to this claim? Website articles, whitepapers, something would be greatly helpful.

Thanks.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Celerons depending on model may run hotter in comparison to another specific model of P4 (and vice versa) but the differences are moot.

The sempron Socket A and A64 versions of semprons sometimes get mixed up one does run hotter than the other.

One common factor is that celerons tend to get stuck with VERY VERY crappy components, crap motherboard, crap ram, crap power supply. Add that together and yes a name brand celeron with die more often than a decently configured P4.

Best way to find out and compare different chips would be to find a website that lists the power dissapation, wattage and amperage. There was a site a while back that just did that but I no longer have it in my favorites, someone else here probably knows.

Good Luck
 Jump to: