Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmm, I have one of these, I wonder if this trick ever works View next topic
View previous topic
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-Portable-Plus-1983-You-can-own-a-bit-of-History_W0QQitemZ160146888659QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$389 for a Compaq Plus, I just bought one down the way for $10 which was too much given it didn't really work. I've since fixed a bad solder joint and its up and running. I will have to ask the guy if he would like a 2nd one to sell for the bargain price of $150. :0
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, another one bites the dust

http://web.archive.org/web/20030204235319/www.firstibmclone.fsnet.co.uk/downloads.htm

I used that site several times on my last portable, went to look and its gone.

Its too bad with the number of vintage sites failing, rimmers resale site long gone along with others. I think bravenet going to the crapper helped the smaller ones die faster Sad
creepingnet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ryan wrote:
Hmm, another one bites the dust

http://web.archive.org/web/20030204235319/www.firstibmclone.fsnet.co.uk/downloads.htm

I used that site several times on my last portable, went to look and its gone.

Its too bad with the number of vintage sites failing, rimmers resale site long gone along with others. I think bravenet going to the crapper helped the smaller ones die faster Sad

Actually, their site is still there. I was just looking at it, they seem to be doing the same thing for the portable that I wanted to do for the Deskpro a few years back.

As for vintage computing dying down a little, I think a lot of it is just the way the world is right now, I've watched it start to rise for quite awhile before 9/11, after 9/11, it tapered off, then a few new sites came along and brought about some excitement, now it's kinda fading.

I also put this whole "Web 2.0" thing as responsible too. Only a few years ago one needed a mere 80486 with a basic web browser and 56K to surf the internet comfortably, now we all need hi-speed DSL/Cable, and need flash, and java, and perl, and all this other fancy stuff to make people amused by what is basically silly eye-candy. I rather miss the days of old websites rendered out of basic HTML at 33.6K baud rate, but sadly, as the internet gets more commercialized and a normal part of mainstream life, the more the old backwoods feel is going to dissipate.

As for my site, it'll always be there, though I'm planning to put up a brand spankin' new version in awhile, using normal HTML, hopefully fully renderable by an 80286 processor running Arachne, yet nice looking enough nobody will complain, all the while keeping a "vintage" vibe going on. I at least need to get all the brand spankin' new computer pages up there of all my machines.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
 Jump to: