Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new baby... View next topic
View previous topic
JK486

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well...OK i wouldn't go as far as saying it is my baby BUT i do like it and thought i would share.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/jkman76/Gateway2000

It is a gateway2000 P5-75 that is all complete except that this one didn't come in its original box and is missing the books/software disks. the only things not original seems to be that more ram and a bigger hard drive was added. Other then that everything has a date sticker on it of 8-28-1995, so 3 days after windows95 shipped so I'm assuming that this model came with it however i put WFW3.11 on it and the ms office suit as was shipped on them when they first came out.

PS.
Does anyone know ware to find the user guides say in pdf online?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Being this is the off-topic section, I expected to see photos of an actual baby. But, the Gateway 2000 is still pretty good. I'm a big fan of Gateway 2000 myself. Back in the early 1990s they had a good thing going for them. They were the best. The used the best electronics, the best monitors, the best keyboards. Everything about them was the best. It looks like your Gateway 2000 is still using some of the good stuff from the 486 days. I would say it's right before Gateway 2000 started their crap period...and later dropped the "2000". I never thought of "Gateway" and "Gateway 2000" as the same company. Gateway 2000 meant quality.

The Gateway 2000 systems I took apart always had Micronics motherboards (sometimes with SCSI and EISA), top of the line ATi and Creative Labs cards, Toshiba CD-ROM drives and Trinitron monitors. If you want to build a classic 486 system, always use a Gateway 2000 case. They don't yellow. The panels will yellow, but the case itself will always glow white.

Anyway, your system looks pretty pristine? Whose grandma did you you have to rob to get it? You should really consider topping it off with an Anykey keyboard.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice system, I like the shorter 486 desktop system Gateway made.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you must be the only one....aren't those ones low profile?
T-R-A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since it's not "totally original", I'd throw a 5 1/4" 1.2MB FDD in it just for the additional retro look. And a Jumbo 150 tape drive, since you seem to have the available bays...
 Jump to: