Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UMBs on the XT (figured it out) View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I finally figured out how to do this. What you need is an LIM 4.0 board and QRAM 2.0. I managed to free up 144kb so far. The documentation included with QRAM isn't very good, but I managed to find information on the internet on how to configure it a little better.

In my setup I moved the EMS page frame from region D to region E. Then I used /FL=0 flag on the QRAM.SYS driver to disable the page frame. This gave me 128kb from regions D and E, plus an extra 16kb from region C.
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is this with your Orchid RamQuest card?

Have you been able to access all 30MB as yet(in one way or another)?
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I did this with the RAMquest, but I also did it with an AST RAMPage! The Rampage turned out to be more useful since you can use a config.sys parameter to free up the mono UMB region and get another 32kb in UMB.

I also found a QuarterDeck program called DOS-UP.SYS to load the DOS kernel and its components into the UMB region, giving me 619kb of free conventional memory when all of my drivers are loaded in UMB.

I haven't found the extra RAM on the RAMquest to be useful. There are no programs out there that use more than a few megs of EMS. I tested it with 32mb, but I only use 8mb these days since it takes a while to count when I turn on the system. 32mb is really just a novelty until somebody writes something for it to do.
 Jump to: