Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Telnet client for old DOS machines View next topic
View previous topic
mbbrutman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some of you are aware that I've been writing my own TCP/IP from scratch for the last few years. I have a DHCP client, IRC client, FTP client, Ping, Netcat so far. For the last two months I've been working on Telnet, and it is finally ready for testing.

The download link for the full set of TCP/IP apps can be found on http://www.brutman.com/mTCP . At the moment Telnet is not included with the other apps, so it has a separate download link on that page.

All of these programs should run really well on the oldest 8088 class machine you can find. I do all of my testing with a PCjr and an XT. One of the big challenges with a telnet client is good terminal emulation and screen updating performance. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with this telnet client compared to other ones you might have used.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think ...

Mike
k2x4b524p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome stuff, i can put my MID-1983 XT on the net. Is there a such thing as a DOS Java package anywhere? Something that would run within GEM or something?
mbbrutman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Java within the confines of a normal DOS machine would be a challenge. The byte codes are easy enough - it's the class libraries, garbage collection, and performance that would be close to impossible.

Here is a screen shot of the telnet client running in DOSEMU. (I run there because it is easier to get a screenshot than on the real hardware.)

If you have EGA or VGA you can use 43 or 50 row display modes as well.

Mike[/img]
mbbrutman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A few bug fixes later and it is now officially released with the rest of the mTCP apps.

Here is a beautiful screen shot showing the opening screen of "TheKeep.Org" using this telnet client:

Enjoy![/img]
 Jump to: