Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ntfs to fat32 and other internet crap View next topic
View previous topic
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

as you know fromprevious postings, I m doing stuff with older but not ancient pc's.
I set up a fairly modern pc ( p4-2400_ but every so often some malware damages the install and either re-install or keep a clone of the drive handy.
I chose to keep a copy ( clonea0
first Ghost refused oen driev mentioning errors .
and soince I use floppies and they cannot read a ntfs partition. I had one install that was ntfs ( later installs are fat 32)
I decided to find a conversion program. comverting from fat to ntfs can eb done from within w2000 otr win xp.
but as far as I know not from ntfs to fat32.

I fopund two such programs. ine that will fit on a floppy seem,s to execute and cannot be found - I do not knwo what it does.
the other must be tranfered from here to the oither pc with a uspo card it is 2 mb in size.
it seeme to instsall fime but came to a blankl screen no drives to eb seen. I had the bright? idea of putting another drive on the second ide port and surte enough it saqw the drive and let me begin 'conveeting it to fat32,
it gt to 11 percent and reported an error a file had some kind of compression.
I removed the program file,.
it founr more problems including txt and other easily readable files not ompressed but said they were.
I kept going this way.
Finally I read the wholepage and saw at the bottom the FREE edition is limited to an 8 gb partition. mone is 99 gb.
so despite it's fdriendly interfdace. I cannot use it.

trhe third program is setrup.exe and is soemthing else entirely. hard to delete // uninstall as thius other system has the lan cable removed.

so I will continue to search and if I stumble across the troublesome program;s sithe I will let them know of the error prone warnings.
they are entit;led to limit partition size oin the free edition.
but a profram shou;ld wirk and noit refuse because of phoney errors
so far NOT very good.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Keep NTFS and install a free virus program like AVAST
 Jump to: