Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooking up a hard drive to a IBM 5150 View next topic
View previous topic
AJWindmeyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi folks, I want to hook up a MiniScribe 43 MB hard disk to my 5150. I am 16 and don't have much experience with a IBM XT PC. Help Please? I have a old ISA controller card for the IBM PC.

AJ
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to help. What controller card do you have?

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
AJWindmeyer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is a Seegate standard, not sure on model... I don't see one listed.

Also, I have A Espon Equity II+ (286) with factory controller. It says when i want to use Hard disk type 40 in the bios (booted from floppy disk) it says that the disk HHD1 is reserved and can not be saved. I have no other hard drives installed. What should i do?
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

43MB is right about the point where they switched to IDE. Is your drive MFM/RLL or IDE? (IDE has a single 40-pin cable, MFM has two cables.)

The basic process for installing a MFM/RLL hard drive in many of these older systems is:
1. Install the disk and controller and cables
2. Inform the system of the new disk (via BIOS or jumpers)
3. Boot off a system disk
4. Low-level format the drive. DEBUG G=c800:5 is pretty common (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/60089)
5. Format the drive using DOS format
6. Install the OS.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=14209

I was able to find the Epson Equity II+ manual on Epson's site of all places. It's even been nicely converted to PDF and not just a series of scanned images. Cool!

Looks like several of the hard disk types were not implemented. Do you have the option to enter the hard disk specs manually? (Usually that's type 47.)

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your drive 3.5" or 5.25"? Installing a 5.25" HDD in a 5150 is normally considered a bad idea, because the original power supply was only 63.5Watts and wasn't up to the job. I think sometimes you could get away with a half-height 5.25", but considering the power supply is all crusty and old, pushing it to the limits is probably a bad idea.

Also, you should be aware that older MFM and RLL controllers are often times designed to only work with a couple of drive types. The original IBM controllers in the XT only supported a single drive (10 or 20MB) as far as I recall. In my experience, most of the third party MFM controllers were only good for 20MB capacities and the RLLs were mostly good for 30MB. The only flexible controllers I ever owned were some late models from Western Digital.

Maybe software overlays can get around the problem? I've never really looked into it.

At this point, I think you are way better off investing in an XTIDE controller, and a compact flash card. That's the route I have taken in my 5150. In this way, you can also preserve the look of the machine by keeping the dual 5.25" full height floppies.
 Jump to: