Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from a very old friend View next topic
View previous topic
PaulusVictor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Howdy Folks

Not sure how many people frequent the site anymore, but I wanted to drop in and say hello. I came from a lower middle class family, and being born in the mid 80's meant that I was always a few years behind the curve in personal computers. Back around 1998 or so, I found Uncreative Labs and utilized the old Bravenet forums to get help for all sorts of niche problems for niche machines. The folks on those boards helped me realize that computers, and eventually enginering was where my passion lie.

I don't recognize a lot of the old internet that I grew up with. Sites likes this are fewer and fewer. And while I realize that this post may never be read by more than a few bots, I do want to just say a general "Thank You" to the Uncreative Labs universe and those that used to frequent here. I'm doing very well these days, with my modern machine that has more computing power than I could ever really want or need. But there's definitely a part of me that is always looking to figure out how to squeeze that last bit of usability out of an old Android phone or a near-decrepit laptop that I've put Linux on.

You guys were great for my formative years, and as I've grown older I've only grown to appreciate you more. I'll keep checking in on these forums, and re-reading the IBM XT review if for no other reason than it brings me joy. Oh, and maybe I'll post here and there. I did just make an account after all! I can't leave it at 1 post and then disappear. Smile
Erik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Howdy!

I have a very similar experience. I'm also an 80s born kid that started collecting 'vintage' computers in the 90s. This board is actually where I scored my first XT (for just the price of shipping! It was a school surplus) I have two these days... I think both might have been from here but it's been so many years who the hell knows. haha.

Before joining UCL, I was already programming in QB for a bit.. though very poorly. Smile . I'm currently still programming though these days in Perl and Java. I still like to create QB programs each year for fun though.

Glad to see another user with similar experience.

Jump to: