Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ibm ps2 model 30 View next topic
View previous topic
k2x4b524p

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Question about said machine
First i give thanks to creepingnet for allowing me to acquire some good machines from him

ps2 model 30, what kind of display out does this thing use. Not even my venerable NEC Multisync 2e can give me a proper picture on this sucker, can i put any other vid card in and have it work? Hell.. where is the users manual for the sucker...

It appears to want to start up in 40 column mode, which my newer vga can't display right on it, and the nec can only display when it's in standard 80 column. It's got a memory count similar to a pc jr and it's got no reference disk, just the diags and the starter, i think it's mcga or maybe 8514 but i don't know, can't find specs on it.
help?
creepingnet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's MCGA, I never had a problem on my more modern VGA monitors, but you need one of the older VGA monitors with a few pins missing from the cable. MCGA is a precursor to VGA, it has the VGA 320X200 256 color graphics mode, but lacks the 640X480 @16 color mode VGA has.

I never tried cards, but it could be likely the original 8086 PS/2's did not need a reference disk, I've never seen a link for one in all the years I've been online. but don't take my word for it because I'm not 100% sure on this.

Here's some specs of a machine on VCF to give you an idea on what it is
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=12667

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
k2x4b524p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i've got 2 of those monitors laying around, will try it again, thinking i may have to find a way to disable the onboard video and go to a slot card. Fun fun Very Happy
 Jump to: