Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guess this means Win8 is officialy a Kludge: View next topic
View previous topic
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WN700404-DH
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And somebody had to take the fall:

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-cfo-exits-profit-rises-201121288--finance.html
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in the NewEgg listing.

Windows 7 was a leap forward in many ways, but Windows 8 seems to be a leap sideways and behind. If Windows 9 was Windows 7 with the sorting issue* fixed, it'd be a step up from Windows 8.

Windows 7 had all kinds of neat stuff, but Windows 8 seems to have the new start screen, Metro (they'll probably backport it to 7), and some kind of AppStore. I don't want those things, and neither do most users apparently. Pressing WIN+Right to move the window to the right half of the screen, now that's cool. Great for comparing documents or manually copying.

*Explorer keeps sorting stuff, so as you're renaming files it keeps the list all sorted. Renaming DSC0xxx files becomes a big hassle unless you sort by something like Date Created to keep those files in place. Where's the UI guideline that says "LEAVE IT ALONE"?

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in the NewEgg listing

Shouldn't have been a NewEgg listing...should have been ComputerGeeks, and my point was that the 64-bit version of Win8 Pro was such a low price...
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oops... guess I had NewEgg on the brain. $99 for Windows 8 Pro 64-bit doesn't seem that far off.

>score
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in the NewEgg listing

Shouldn't have been a NewEgg listing...should have been ComputerGeeks, and my point was that the 64-bit version of Win8 Pro was such a low price...

PCs are near the end of the line, I still prefer a desktop immensely over a portable tablet though. The things I do with a computer would be dis-allowed on a tablet, probably no 5 1/4" drive support on the Iphun any time soon.

Its unfortunate that everyone has to implant a phone in their head these days, I still rather not have one most of the time.

Ah well.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't see PCs as at the end of the line. They'll continue being useful, but some of the more mobile types of tasks (checking this, quick update of that) will move to the portable devices. Serious work will be done on PCs, just like it always (always in the life of PCs) has.

The market is shifting, as it's very convenient to reach for the portable device rather than haul around a PC. (I've always thought the ideal tablet would be the same size as a spiral-bound notebook and as tough as the notebook is.) PCs will not go away for heavy tasks like design or writing more than a page or so.

>score
 Jump to: