Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS ESC TO RESUME ? View next topic
View previous topic
wdegroot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The latest computer is a dell dimension L866r this is a narrow tower system Piii 866. I installed 512 m ram and it was sooo slow., finally I reinstalled windows me. ( ain't it great?) I have the orighinal disk but I used a copy. seems the system always askes for del to be preswsed to resume. A search on the www told me thaqt ,means thereiswa hd error.
I hooked up another old drive and sure enough no prompt appeared.
evrytrhing seems to work. the modem is in the Gold recycling box and the 3m nic was recognixed and I am on thwe webwell sort of. Microsoft immedialtely downloaded iE7 ( for vista) which does not work..
the fun continues
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Walter,

I'm on a Dell OptiPlex GX110 (same CPU{866MHz}/RAM{512MB} as your machine) and don't have much problem with speed on XP (nLited version). It's a much more modern OS than WinME and doesn't present near the problems, especially with finding drivers. I even have a Memorex 16x DVD burner and an old LG 8x CD burner and both a 20GB HDD as "C:" and an 80GB as "D:". I'd suggest you may want to try nLited XP before fooling around with that old a machine using ME...
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have not, as yet tried spinite on the maxtor 20g drive that required me topress dell every time.
when it was connected even booting from a floppy the error/inconvenience persisted.
I ghosted the maxtor 20g to another wd 20g. I made up a floppy wioth ghost mouse and fdisk and format and sys,com.
the "new" drive behaved wiothout any problems.
there is a program maxllf I ran and the maxctor ( original drive)_ still had the error.
I set it aside., I shrank the wd 20g partition to less than 4g. ghost was screwwy until I fdiskled and formatted the remaining porrtion ( 16g)
then I ghosted the 4g partition on the 20g to a seagate 4.2g drive. the system behaved properly.
I piut It all back togethjer and set it aside.
BYW the cd I used was a copy of me. It never shows the me lofo ( splash screen) so apparently it has been modified in some way.
all seems to be happy with it.
My plan to install a amd 1200 with 1g of ram was bypassed as my son had a compact ( not compaq) 2400 p4 set up and working.with xp. all is on the mb no cards.. so I will use that as it is a desktop case and is so low it will not take regular cards.it was interesting.

I have the bios flash but did noit uise it. as all detects and works with xp. I will add avg free edition and maklware bytes.
there is an umofficial sp4 on sof I think the present mb is a via p46266
no manufacturer. I searched on the part number and got the manbual.tpedia. ( for xp)
later another mnachine will go up iun the table . more fun
 Jump to: