Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to find original version of AOL Desktop View next topic
View previous topic
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At my parents house there is still 56k dialup and an old Windows 98 box.

At this point it appears no web browser that runs under windows 98se will access Aol Webmail anymore (this just changed in the last month)
I was using opera 9.64 but it appears to be bumped too.

Only thing left in Aol desktop (which should) run under Windows 9x, the version on Aols site for 9x has issues and I would prefer a full download package of the original Aol Desktop release
(which I had once upon a time around the Aol 8 era and had no use for then)

I am still very surprized that OffByOne can get 90% of the web content I look at (but I need to use IE 5.5 for this forum)
I can even post at Mynissanleaf, gmvolt forums and other modern forums with OffByOne.

Too bad no one wants to revamp something like OffByONe again, it works great for eliminating unwanted content and just displaying the basics.

In any event I have desire to move up to a newer machine in this case, I either have old crapola really best left with Windows 9x due to special software and memory limitations and my new stuff doesn't have PCI so I would have to buy an overpriced modem
(though I have stacks of ISA and PCI 56k modems)

(odd how 56k has gotten more expensive, less compatible and less reliable as time has gone on past Windows 2k)

Out of curiosity, does Windows 2k (without all the blasted service packs mind you) support any new browsers. I hate how slow 2k becomes once the service packs are applied.

Ah well

Cheers
Ryan
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Would AOL Desktop be on any of their free CDs? I happen to have version 5.0 here.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
 Jump to: