Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old GW-BASIC Games View next topic
View previous topic
creepingnet

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been looking everywhere for two old BASIC computer games my sister used to have on her 386 that I used to play all the time. I've been looking everywhere...here's the title's and descriptions...

The first one I'm not sure of the name, weather it's Maxwell, Maxis, or Maxtor, it's Max something. The object of the game was to play against an opponent for high score by typing in numbers listed on a grid, the number would add to your score, and the one with the most numbers wins.

The second one was called depthchg (or Depth Charger as my sister called it). IT was an ASCII based submarine game that looked kind of like WordPerfect gone awol! You had a submarine that crossed across the top of the screen and dropped "bombs" (the letter o) on lower traveling submarines.

I know they were written for BASIC because I remember loading them you had to type BASICA, then press F2 for the LOAD" prompt, then type the name DEPTHCHG or Max*** (*'s = whatever the end of the title was), then type run to run them.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
ß

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have no idea, though the submarine game sounds similar to the Windows 3.x and later Win32 game Sinksub.
ryan no log

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had an old XT that had a hard drive filled with only basica games and basica inventory/accounting software. It looked to be commercial! and had a copywrite and everything, things have changed.

Sadly I was not smart enough to backup all that stuff before I sold it, I'm guessing the game you seek would have been in amoungst the 100 or more games in one big directory on that unit.

I still have Kingdom, Othello and some other basic basica games Smile

Good Luck
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

btw running true ibm basic is possible on clones as there was a program to copy/ suck out basic from an ibm and write it to disk. IBM BASICA.EXE is 78k in size.
the differences between basica and gwbasic are small but sometimes required small changes in code or faults that are hard to find/correct..
IBM warned folks not to make direct machine calls but often they were ignored.
== why can't i forget all this old stuff and move on==
ß

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wdegroot wrote:
== why can't i forget all this old stuff and move on==

Because you continue to read a forum where people keep asking about this "old stuff"? :p No, couldn't be! Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got tons of old ASCII games but I don't think I have that one; I'll have to look for it. My XT has a monochrome display so they are the only kind I can play on it.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if your old xt mono has a non-ibm video card, it likely has hercules mono-graphic emulation. if not , when nobody is looking put in a herc-compatible card
jet /h fs/h and later and flight simulators will run on a herc-mono
as well as a majongg game i used to have. the majongg game was written for ega , but since the specs are so close, the author re-wrote it to work on a herc / mono system
i gave it to my friend with a ibm pc 9 gave him a newer video card, and he was amazed. remember only "stick figure" type graphics will run on the original ibm 80 x 25 text mono card. i saw very few later cards that were not mono-grapics capable,
i have a mitsubishi card that has a different screen font, don;t know if it is herc compatible, tho.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if your old xt mono has a non-ibm video card, it likely has hercules mono-graphic emulation. if not , when nobody is looking put in a herc-compatible card
jet /h fs/h and later and flight simulators will run on a herc-mono
as well as a majongg game i used to have. the majongg game was written for ega , but since the specs are so close, the author re-wrote it to work on a herc / mono system
i gave it to my friend with a ibm pc i gave him a newer video card, and he was amazed. remember only "stick figure" type graphics will run on the original ibm 80 x 25 text mono card. i saw very few later cards that were not mono-grapics capable,
i have a mitsubishi card that has a different screen font, don;t know if it is herc compatible, tho.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, my quest for the games is finally over, I found them at a rather cool download site which I put down in the "links" section of the message board. It turns out I was not far off on the names: Depthchg (Depth Charge) which was the old basic game with ASCII subs, Maxit being the old math game, and quite a large number more that are downloadable from that page.

http://files.chatnfiles.com/Carousel/

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
ryan no log

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now you did it, I want to image that whole site!
creepingnet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ryan no log wrote:
Now you did it, I want to image that whole site!"

LOL. I don't know how possible that is without cable, or then I would have done it. I did get quite a number of things off it though that I've already worked on burning to CD. Some of that stuff you don't see every day.

Jump to: