Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old modem unreliable on a newer computer? View next topic
View previous topic
Andrew T.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My 56k modem was somehow fried during a recent thunderstorm, so I'm temporarily using an obscure internal ISA-bus Aspen Technologies 28ISSSA modem, detected as a "Sierra" 3465. Regardless of the specifics, I've noticed that in my main system, a Pentium III-based Compaq Deskpro running Windows 95 OSR2, the modem sometimes refuses to connect, or disconnects abruptly and refuses to connect again until after rebooting. When I had this same modem plugged into my older Gateway 2000 4DX2-66 system running DOS and Windows 3.11, it was a lot more reliable in its behavior. Why would this be?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some modems required custom initialization strings depending on your system. In a PIII, however, they may have cheaply implemented the ISA and not given it extensive testing like they would have, as it's on it's way out.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
the modem sometimes refuses to connect, or disconnects abruptly and refuses to connect again until after rebooting

Sure the thunderstorm didn't do more damage than just your modem? If you've got an old external modem lying around, see if it causes the same problems.

Don't know how many times people have come to me saying their modem got fried during a t-storm, and always say "I had the computer turned off/unplugged"...
Andrew T.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In any case, the modem (the internal 28.8 kbps ISA one, that is) has been doing this when plugged into this particular computer LONG before any thunderstorm occurred.

Unfortunately, I don't have any spare external modems around.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You'll probably have to try another modem or set up a computer to act as a dial-up router until you can get a new one (they're running between $10 and $50 at the local chain stores).

www.freesco.org is where you can get a linux distro that will act as a dial-up router. It works really well and needs you to have very little Linux experience to use. (You'll need to set up a network with TCP/IP, but that's not too difficult, especially if you let Freesco do DHCP.)

>score
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Andrew T.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, here's a new wrinkle:

My problems with the ISA modem usually involved the modem sometimes disconnected when it got to the "Validating user name and password..." part when dialing.
Well, I have accidentally found out that if I begin dialing, then run a DOS game from within Windows for a few seconds, then close, the modem WILL have connected without any problems no matter what! Why could this be?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe your modems trying to connect at too great a speed? Try reducing the maximum baud rate to the next setting down.

>score
 Jump to: