Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honing PC Troubleshooting Skills View next topic
View previous topic
KickinWing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would really like to hone my troubleshooting skills in time for my new IT job. I am a PC Support Technician/Sales Associate in a local computer store. What are a list of the best sites to search for help and how-to besides the MS Knowledge Base?

I consider myself very lucky to obtain this position. I have even had several other job offers recently but I turned them down because the computer store is so close by my place. The economy must really be turning around.

It has been several years since I got my AS in Computers and A+ Cert and I have forgotten a lot of what I have learned. Darned dr prescribed rx meds. And working such a medial job at the office supply store. I had practically given up on the computer field. And made myself believe I am not smart enough to work in this field. I have been proven wrong.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are you talking hardware-troubleshooting, or software-troubleshooting???
KickinWing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Software Troubleshooting is preferred. I have more hardware troubleshooting documentation than I know what to do with.

Specifically I want information regarding various threats and holes in Microsoft Windows XP and 9x systems. And how to correct problems with installed programs when you go to uninstall and they won't uninstall (i.e. they return some error code or nag saying that it could not uninstall because required components were missing. I would also like to have information on how to clean up the registry from unecessary stuff that creates system instability.

I would also like to have information regarding tuning up the PC, how to increase performance and things. That information would be invaluable to me at my new job.

Thanks Mr. Spock... With your A7 computer expert classification it shouldn't be hard for your giant intellect. Mr. Green

Thanks and Thanks Again Very Happy
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a start:

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/HowToEliminateTheTenMostCriticalInternetSecurityThreats.php
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You will want a periodical for security issues. There's always new ones being discovered and people leaving old ones open.

http://www.arstechnica.com throws in security issues along with their normal technology news.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
kw_nologgy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks and thanks again. Good stuff.
 Jump to: