Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Joy of Working in Retail - USB and Parallel Devices View next topic
View previous topic
wdegroot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

for a long time, after companies decided to " computerize" there was NO TRAINING.
they possibly were told by a salesman that it is SO EASY. as a result many were badgering and asking stupid questions of the tech support, often a person who had just "one click more experience" than the operator/employee. Later when iot was fould necessary to train, say for excell or word or lotus notes , so people could function at lkeast on a kindergarten level, companies started to train.

I remember "fernando" who REFUSED orientation on nt 4 when they upgraded from wfwg. Later he prepared a list of 20 questions for the tech support lady. it became a joke between us. he was "too important" to "waste his valuable time" sitting in a class.

as far as hardware is concerned, I know someone who INSISTS that a separate ground is required for a atx board or it will not start up.
why can I test all of my collection with a power supply and the board on a carton. and just jumper the two pins? are his different?
the connector has the ground wire.
people get strange ideas and that are carved into their minds.

some ideas are because of a technology feature that is obsolete.
like " a ide drive ALWAYS takes precidence over a scsi drive"
true then but NOW you can choose which drive is the boot drive in a setup option , so it is no longer true.

Or why cannot I add a 5.25 drive as B to my new p4?
Because the system only accepts ONE floppy drive,

you see all kinds of stuff like "how do you get into the cmos of a IBM XT?"
DUH ( 1989) Incidently some aftermarket 8088 did have a kind of setup
like compuadd pc's.
look in setup. ( another person's system )
Ki Mendrossen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently there is a device you can buy for $69 that will give you parallel ports through the USB port. Here is the link. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

http://www.cablemax.com/cablemax/show-item.cfm?id=165204&ca=167&catlink=USB%20parallel%20port

And even better for $24 buys this ...

http://www.cablemax.com/cablemax/show-item.cfm?id=154512&cat=MANHATTAN%20USB%20PRODUCTS&catlink=USB%20parallel%20port
wdegroot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

strange ideas abound.
for example someone told me ( I was the person who copied slides with e-4 ektachrome)
which can be done at home, but carefully..
the " nice guy" told me there would soon be a Kodachrome home kit.
dream on.. the process is very complicated and not possible at home.
the colors are ADDED diring the many steps and diffused into the many layers.

he was optomistic and not in this world.
we also see prople with strange ideas about many other things. just because they THINK it is so does not make it real or true.

I left a church although it was 96% ok and 4% flakey.
they onsited on deluding themselves.
one of the last straws was the reseach in sending a probe into a comet
several months ago was " against godly principles and re-inforcing ideas about
evolution and not creration"
I never figured that one out!!
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I still want to see this link to the device that lets you hook up USB devices to a SCSI adapter. I have seen the other way around but not the one talked about in this thread. Though, now that I have seen an ISA usb card, I wonder if it is possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SCSI power USB adapters are usually for very specific devices such as one of the lab scopes here at school that was fitted into a proprietary device. The brand matched the adapters brand. They don't work on every device, only the USB device they were made to interface to
 Jump to: