Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: Wordstar 3.0 for DOS View next topic
View previous topic
xtguy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been looking (years now) for Wordstar ver. 3.0 for DOS. This is the first version for DOS (earlier versions were for CP/M only).It was released in April 1982.

Version 3.3 came out in 1983 (mid year, I think) which AFAIK was the next version number released.

I've got Wordstar versions 3.3; 3.31; 3.33; 4.0; 5.5 (diskimage file only), 7.0 (diskimage file only), and Wordstar 2.0 for Windows, but 3.0 for DOS is proving the most elusive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good Luck Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thats like finding autocad 1.x
xtguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I found Word for DOS, version 1.1 (from 1984); and Visiword, a 1983 DOS-based word processor from the same people that made Visicalc, so maybe someday....
ryan no log

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I sold Wordstar 1.x IBM CP/M on 8" floppies a long time ago, never did get a chance to try and read them, though they were still sealed.
xtguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Funny you should mention that, as I have some 8" floppies of Wordstar (both 1x and 2x versions). These appear to be copies, not the original disks. I have not had any success in trying to transfer them to another size format (5-1/4 inch floppies). I do have an external IBM 8" floppy disk drive. It is in it's own case with power supply. It has a 37 pin external floppy connector on the back.

I tried connecting it to an internal floppy controller that had the external connection. Since the 8" floppies were CP/M, I used 22disk. I could finally get the controller to attempt to access the 8" floppy drive. I could hear the drive head "clunking" down to try to read the disk when I typed the correct drive letter but only got "Sector Not Found" and other unfriendly messages.

Part of the problem was not knowing if the controller could read the floppies. From what I read, the floopies were likely Single Density (recorded with FM modulation) and not all floopy controllers could read that.

I was hoping to get the 8" disks transferred to 5-1/4 inch disks, so I could run the versions of Wordstar on one of my CP/M computers.
 Jump to: