Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for an honest answer regarding Windows XP View next topic
View previous topic
KickinWing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a fairly decent low end computer (was midrange about 3 years ago). It runs Windows XP Home Edition. I use it primarily for light gaming, email, e-commerce, web surfing, music, etc. I use Windows XP Home Edition on this system. I went with that OS because it was cheaper. I understand that Professional offers more security (i.e. Encrypted Files and Folders, more control over user policies, active directory/domain support, etc.) and a few poweruser items such as ERD an ASR.

For what I use my computer for, would it be worth it to upgrade to professional? Am I really that vulnerable using Home Edition?

I keep my system fairly clean and optimized. I delete temp files, defrag my SYSTEM partition, keep my startup programs and processes to a minimal, I do regular spyware scans using Windows Defender and a DOS verison of McAffee from 2004 wtih updated DAT files from as late as JUN 27 2006 (Part of the Hiren's Boot CD 8.2). My Windows Firewall is always turned on, I also update my system via automatic updates. I use antivirus software (AVG Free, probably not the best but there is no way I will pay $50/yr for Norton BloatWare 2006). I use Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.4 for my web and Thunderbird for my Email.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Professional doesn't seem to offer much more than home for the average user. As long as the system works and is clean, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have both Pro and Home, and find I don't need nor use the extra features of Pro (because my Server 2003 box handles what IIS). YMMV

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Only thing I'd imagine is that Pro (w/SP2) defaults to having Windows Firewall "on" and AFAIR, "Home" and Pro-SP1 doesn't (but don't quote me)...
Howard81

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My XP Home SP2 defaults to the firewall being on...
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP2 defaults to having the firewall on. Everything before it defaults to having the firewall off. It doesn't matter what edition you're running.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
 Jump to: