Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone use XP Lite? View next topic
View previous topic
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.litepc.com/xppreview.html

I am curious if it works similarly to Win98 lite?
xtguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use it on Win2K, but I've had problems with it and would only give it a mixed review at best.

I did a fresh installation of Win2K a couple years ago and used XPlite to remove a lot of the junk that Windows installs with.

I then started having problems. I don't remember the exact details but I started getting lots of weird cryptic error messages. Much strange behaviour.

I use the PC to do a lot of VHS video to DVD transfers and was careful not to remove anything that might be associated with audio/video/DirecX etc.

I then used XP lite to 'put back' almost everything it removed, thinking that would help but it didn't seem to fix things. I finally just reformatted and reinstalled W2K and everything was fine. I did reinstalll XP lite again but this time I only removed a few things with it (Outlook 'Distress', NetMeeting, Chat, AddressBook, OS/2-Posix subsystems, IIS and server components).

There's lots more I would like to remove, but I don't want to start screwing up my W2K installation again, so I'm very cautious.
 Jump to: