Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not impressed with VLB Trio64 View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got my hands on a Hercules Graphite Terminator DRAM 2meg version for the VL Bus. It is equipped with the S3 86c764 aka "Trio64". I had heard that this card had great DOS performance...comparable to ET4000W32P. But, so far I am greatly unimpressed. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, but my Mach64 VRAM VLB seems to be faster (at least in most DOS modes). I haven't tested Windows graphics performance yet as I didn't get a driver disc with this card. Is there a substantial performance improvement with the Trio64V+ cards?
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Which modes are you talking about? I think the et4000w32p was very fast in standard VGA, the later DOS games used VESA modes that the later S3 chipsets were very good at (quake etc). What are you using for a benchmark?
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am using some DOS 4GW VESA games as my benchmark. I found the Tseng to be very fast, the Mach64 to be average, and the Trio64 to be a little worse than the Mach64. Though, having read that the Trio64 is supposed to be about on par with an ET4000W32P, I am a little unimpressed.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the et4000 VLB cards for DOS gaming, they have the best support. For PCI DOS cards I have a 4MB Tseng et6000 and a Nvidia Riva 128.
 Jump to: