Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mall shooting. View next topic
View previous topic
harshbarj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A sad day for Omaha, 9 dead in a mall shooting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7129906.stm

live coverage

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/12163196.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very sad (it made it to swedish newspapers as well) time to stop listening to NRA.

Last edited by bear on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
wdegroot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

a very disturbed teen
the people in charge should take these problems more seiously.
there are thise like father flanigan at Boy's town that said
" there is nio such thing as a bad boy"
not true we have jeffery dalmer and other evil and disturbed persons.
i
there was a guy on the staten Island ferry with a sword chopping at people. Stopped by a retired policeman.
we would outlaw swords , baseball bats, hammers, screwdrivers butcher knives.
where would it end?
maybe outlaw broom handles?
trouble is , nio matter how sad this is, nutcases are given a "pass" until they do something really bad. and then commit suicide or get shot and killed by the police.

remember the crazy that shot Viet children in a california playground?
he was questioned by police previously becaue he was shooting trees to rid them or evil spirits or something. he was on some mind bending prescription drug that is still used.

when will people get smart.

if the nebraska mall shooter was captured or arrersted, bet a dollar he would be out in less than to years. " but he is a GOOD BOY"
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
time to stop listening to NRA

Sorry, but the NRA has absolutely nothing to do with this. With or without gun control, this would not have been stopped. Once someone chooses to commit a heneous crime such as this, they won't be stopped by the legality of owning a weapon...
386er

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i agree with T-R-A, if someone was to comit a crime, getting a weapons is the least of there worrys
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Case in point:

Even after Germany tightened gun-control laws in 2002 , it failed to stop crimes such as this in '06.

Dutch gun laws are also typical of most European governments, but failed to prevent this in '04.

It's an old, trite saying, but guns don't kill people---people do...
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

in the case of the swordsman on the ferry, only the presence of a retired policeman saved the day.

there was an ammored car holdup at an allentown pa mall today. I am surprised that with the number of concealed carry permits in PA that someone did not stop the gunmen.

when there are no weapons in the hands of law-abiding citizend, criminals will have a field day. they can rob anybody.
the police try but they cannot be everywhere at the same trime, Nor can we afford to have that many policemen.
harshbarj

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I went out to Westroads today, eerie sight. The mall is still closed and the parking lots are empty. This is a mall where you could drive around looking for a parking spot for nearly an hour. A memorial has been placed by the public on the south steps of Von Maur. I may make time this weekend to take photos of it if the weather holds (another snow storm coming).

You have to give the nut some credit, he knew where to hit to strike the most fear in the richest portion of the city. Westroads and Von Maur in particular are well know for HIGH prices, generally only the most well to do shop there. It's also the busiest mall in the Metro.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why are americans so eager to carry guns ? I did not say that it was NRAs fault but it is their fault that there is so many guns about. It is easier to stop a person using a knife or sword or stick than it is to stop someone with a gun.
Of course there is always people who manage to get hold of guns even if there is hard restricting laws but it will lessen the amount of shooting quite a bit.
bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
While handguns account for only one-third of all firearms owned in the United States, they account for more than two-thirds of all firearm-related deaths each year. A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, 7 times more likely to be used to commit a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to attempt or commit suicide than to be used in self-defense.

Quote:
In 2004 (the most recent year for which data is available), there were 29,569 gun deaths in the U.S:

* 16,750 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths),
* 11,624 homicides (40% of all U.S gun deaths),
* 649 unintentional shootings, 311 from legal intervention and 235 from undetermined intent (4% of all U.S gun deaths combined).

Quote:
Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

* 373 people in Germany
* 151 people in Canada
* 57 people in Australia
* 19 people in Japan
* 54 people in England and Wales, and
* 11,789 people in the United States

(*Please note that these 1998 numbers account only for HOMICIDES, and do not include suicides, which comprise and even greater number of gun deaths, or unintentional shootings).

Quote:
Among 26 industrialized nations, 86% of gun deaths among children under age 15 occurred in the United States.

Quote:
People who keep guns at home have a 72% greater chance of being killed by firearms and are 3.44 times more likely to commit suicide than those who do not keep guns at home

From here: http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

Last edited by bear on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

our "erteemed governor" Rendell was suiong the gun manufaturers when he was Mayor of Philadelphia
Once they were sucessful and bankrupt. we could buy all our militart rifles from norway and sweden, germany and autria.

the " youth gun deths" or" children gun deaths." a terrible stastic. Cosnisted mostly of Police shootinmg teen-aged gang bangers and drug dealers. ( good riddance)
they would only get a short sentence, and be out on the street to contimue their lawless "career"
the main problem with all these recent shootinmgs is that family values are ignored and troubled young people are not dealt with properly.
Bullying and erratic behavior are tolerated
bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do think this is quite striking though.

Quote:
Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

* 373 people in Germany
* 151 people in Canada
* 57 people in Australia
* 19 people in Japan
* 54 people in England and Wales, and
* 11,789 people in the United States

(*Please note that these 1998 numbers account only for HOMICIDES, and do not include suicides, which comprise and even greater number of gun deaths, or unintentional shootings).

http://www.ichv.org/kidsandguns.htm

The youth deths by police is low compared to the total figures.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem, as I see it, is a piece of a bigger picture.....

Anyone notice this was not so much of a problem 50-60 years ago, at least, from what I learned in history class and everywhere else (relatives, etc.), it was not that much of a problem. It's a piece of a much better picture, I swear, but of course, nobody pays attention to history these days. It seems a mutual respect for mankind has gradually been lost sometime in the past few decades.

As for children these days, being as it was not long ago I was a disgruntled and bullied teenager, the responsibility lies on the schools and the parents. I will always tell people I'd never blow up my high school or shoot my generation to death because of the way I was raised, no matter how much they piss me off. I was taught from a young age that violence tied to stupid emotional stimuli is a retarded decision to make. More parents should teach that, rather than plop their kid in front of the electric babysitters (Mrs. Dell and Mrs. Magnavox) whenver the kids get in their hair about something.

As for gun control, I dunno if we have an anti-political rule dealie here, so I'll just stay out of it, all I will say I aim more toward Ted Nugent's side of the arguement, no more, no less.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
386er

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

all i have to say is GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, HUSBANDS THAT COME HOME EARLY DO! beside the pathetic atept at humore, guns dont kill people, there just objects, its the person that pulls the trigger. The way society is nowday makes me sad, but we need not to blame an object but to blame the crazy retards that shot them. even if guns only exsisted in another dimension, people will still kill people, not to long ago, a person (forgot name), killed a man with a screwdriver. see my point, cant stop people if there hellbent on killing people.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

386er wrote:
all i have to say is GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, HUSBANDS THAT COME HOME EARLY DO! beside the pathetic atept at humore, guns dont kill people, there just objects, its the person that pulls the trigger. The way society is nowday makes me sad, but we need not to blame an object but to blame the crazy retards that shot them. even if guns only exsisted in another dimension, people will still kill people, not to long ago, a person (forgot name), killed a man with a screwdriver. see my point, cant stop people if there hellbent on killing people.

That's exactly what I was wanting to say.

And in the big picture, it boils down to personal responsibility, which is somehting the world could benifit from....Here's just some rants of mine on this subject....

- He who has the gun is the killer, not the gun. I have yet to "meet" a gun, like I have yet to carry a murderer. Guns don't kill, it's the idiot with his finger on the trigger who does.

- Message Boards and the internet don't insult people, but the people on it sure do.

- Computers are not "smart", they merely do what you TELL them to do

- SUV's are not the problem, drivers with no concept of center of gravity or how to maximize fuel mileage are

- If you take drugs or eat unhealthily, you suffer the painful consequences.

- The lawn mower did not jump on your foot, you were stupid enough to mow on a 60 degree slope up and down hill with wet grass.

- The electric guitar does not cause noise pollution, but the jackasses in the garage are what gives them the ability to.

- Mp3's are not the problem with file sharing, neither is Napster, the problem comes down to many different people, from theives downloading it, to the entertainment companies (aka. the media) themselves, and government.

- If you step under a forklift holding an airplane hull, and it falls, I might have sympathy for your family, but I still think you are stupid.

- MTV did not force you to go to hot topic and put yourself in debt, you were the one who acquired the credit card, you're the one to watch TV, and you are the one who chooses to go on a $200.00 gothic shopping spree like some idiot 14 year old, I do not feel sorry for you.

Basically put, humanity is really flawed, it's just most people are too petty and ignorant to notice it.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
 Jump to: