Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XT ISA VGA - Which card? View next topic
View previous topic
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Which card is recommended for ISA VGA?

The ATI VGA Wonder family looks good?
wdegroot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

our tseng labe isa 16 bit video card and many olderr ise 16 bit video cards work ok in an xt.
Just be sure the extra "fingers" do not short out.,
of course you set the switches to none / ega.
don't ransack the world for 8 bit vga card.

A few cards may act strange. displaying only B&W or nothing on a pentium system.

BTW a good game combo is an ega card set at "cga monitor" and a cga monitor better colors.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't tried all the VGA cards that work in an XT, but I am strongly in favour of the VGAwonder. It is available in both 8-bit and 16-bit ISA slot versions, but either card will work in an 8-bit slot. What makes the VGA wonder more attractive than other cards that have both analog and digital outputs is that it can autoselect between them so that you don't have to flip any DIP switches if you connect a different monitor. At least I'm not aware of any other boards that do this.

Another interesting card for the XT would be the original IBM VGA adapter designed for the PS/2 8088 systems. I've been trying to get one of these for a while without results. It doesn't have many interesting features, but it's a real IBM part.
Skyfrog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wdegroot wrote:

A few cards may act strange. displaying only B&W or nothing on a pentium system.

I found that out on my XT recently. After trying several 16-bit VGA cards and getting no results I finally installed an old Tseng card (forget which model now) and it booted up. Hurray I though. So I put it all back together, set it up on my desk and started up a game only to find it was in black and white. That was a lot of work for nothing. I guess the color was controlled by the 16-bit section of that card.
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just installed one of these cards and cannot seem to get past the POST video card error beeps and nothing is coming out of the VGA connector:

1. DIP switches on motherboard are correct.
2. I've check jumpers a few times
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U-Z/VIDEO-SEVEN-XVGA-V7-VEGA-VGA-VER-2.html

Hmmm, I previously had an ATI EGA Wonder card installed which worked fine.

Any thoughts?
wdegroot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

some cards work and others may not
avoid using the slot nearest the power supply on a genuine ibm mb.
it is intended for a serial card.
I know typically the video card is in that location, but not on these mb.
try another card older is better.
and are the switches set for " no vido" or EGA?
since the ati card worked,. it is likely.
Older monitors are unavailable and this is a thing many of us will face.
thing is text and apps will work but many games get screwed up.

when I had a pc chips mb ( fast 486) some cards were very strange.
max

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Old Trident cards work. What I did (after testing it) - I removed the 16bit part of the connector with a grinding machine, so now the card looks like true 8 bit Laughing
wdegroot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

many olkder cards had " decenders"
as normal industrial chips were used ( not much integration)
and manufacturers need all the board space they could.
so many older boards "stuch down" below the connector and motherboards would often accept a board like that in one or more slots.

remmeber the HUGE boards used in early AT's and other 285 machines?
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a paradise 8 bit ISA VGA card that I have not tested yet. My XT runs a CGA 8 bit card currently and I have a C&T chipset EGE 8 bit card also.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have an Oak Technologies 077 chip card. It's primarily a VGA adapter, but with the dip switches I also have EGA, CGA, and Monochrome/Hercules support.

My other choice of VGA cards for an XT are the old WD 16-bit Paradise VGA cards.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

with a cga monitoir use an ega card set for cga monitor
as it will give you 16 colors and better color
do NOT try a monot monitor with an ega card exceot set as mono (hercules mono graphics)
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would avoid the OAK cards. From what I understand, the OAK VGA core is one of the few that is actually *slower* than standard VGA.

Certain cards will support full EGA graphics on a monochrome monitor. The ATi EGA and VGA wonders will do up to 16 shades of grey at the full 640x350 spec. I have heard the ETx000 series also work very well, but I am not certain if they have the same auto switching capabilities as the ATI cards.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
I would avoid the OAK cards. From what I understand, the OAK VGA core is one of the few that is actually *slower* than standard VGA.

Certain cards will support full EGA graphics on a monochrome monitor. The ATi EGA and VGA wonders will do up to 16 shades of grey at the full 640x350 spec. I have heard the ETx000 series also work very well, but I am not certain if they have the same auto switching capabilities as the ATI cards.

I got the Oak card as it was the only thing I could find. I really just want a normal EGA card for that box, but the OAK offers the flexability to test multiple monitors, so it does kinda' have a use. Plus it's an XT, it's not like it needs graphics that go really fast.

now on the other hand, I have a gripe about this card in that in certain EGA modes (320X200 in particular), certain colors appear with light blue bars. Really annoying.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
k2x4b524p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can find one, The Headland Ergo II 1mb VGA card works wonders on the 8-bit bus. in full VGA color no less. It's got very few 16-bit fingers, so i figure those are just for slightly added performance too. BUT you have to configure the XT or the PC to have NO DISPLAY or it won't work..
OldComputerGeek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can find an ISA bus ATi Mach64, that is generally accepted as the fastest 16-bit ISA slot video card. I have an ATi Graphics Expression 2mb that I managed to find cheap still in the original box about a year or two ago. I'd like to find the 4mb version that supports higher resolution and more colors, but they are really hard to get these days. I'm not sure what you would look for if all you have is an 8-bit slot.
 Jump to: